The Old Town in Gdańsk (Polish: Gdańska Starówka) is one of the prettiest and the best maintained Old Towns in Poland. Every year it is a magnet for uncounted masses of tourists. It is an excellent place to visit at every season of the year. One of the main advantages of Gdańsk Old Town is its concise size, everything is in walking distance, and a great cluster of historical buildings in this area. We will find here: St. Mary’s Basilica, Churches of St. John, Nicholas and Bridget; Golden, Green and Upland Gates, Main Town Hall, famous Neptune Fountain, Artus’ Court, Great Armoury, St. George Brotherhood Mansion, Torture House with Amber Museum, Crane, Market Hall, and lots of other historical buildings at so called Kings Road which consists of Długa and Długi Targ Streets (long and Long Market Streets). Gdańsk Old Town is an amazing place at all seasons.
The representative and historic part of Gdańsk is considered to be one of the most beautiful complexes of this type in Poland. It consists of two historical districts - the Old Town and the Main Town, which, however, are often referred simply - the Old Town. Here you can see exceptionally valuable monuments from different periods, referring to many architectural styles, created over the centuries by artists from around the world. Such a large and compact urban complex also has its own, almost magical atmosphere. Due to the fact that most of the most interesting monuments are concentrated around the Royal Route, you can get to know them during a nice family walk.
The main tourist route and the central axis of the Old Town of Gdańsk is the Royal Route. The Royal Route is the name given to Długa Street and Długi Targ in Gdańsk in connection with the ceremonial entry of monarchs into the city from 1457, when Kazimierz Jagiellończyk was solemnly welcomed. It runs through the center of the Main City of Gdańsk. It is crowned with the Golden Gate on one side and the Green Gate on the other. The wealthiest Gdańsk patricians lived here. Almost every tenement house standing here has its own interesting history. The Royal Route begins with the Renaissance Upland Gate from the 16th century, which is a remnant of defensive fortifications. Previously, this role was played by the foregate complex from the 14th century, rebuilt after the erection of the Upland Gate into the Torture House with the Prison Tower. Today it houses the Amber Museum. Right behind it is the Golden Gate with decorations typical of the Dutch Renaissance. After crossing the Golden Gate, we enter Długa Street, where there are many restaurants, bars and confectioneries in carefully restored tenement houses. It is worth paying attention to the Uphagen House at number 12. It is a tenement house with original furnishings from the 18th century, once belonging to the famous Gdańsk councilor. Currently, the Museum of Town Interiors operates here. At the end of Długa Street there is the Gothic Main Town Hall, the most magnificent and most valuable secular building of the former Gdańsk, once the seat of the city authorities. The 80-meter-high spire of the tower is crowned with a metal, gilded statue of King Sigismund Augustus. Right next to it, at the Long Market, there is the Neptune Fountain, the Artus Court, the Golden House and many restored tenement houses. The Artus Court is a meeting place for wealthy merchants and brotherhoods. The interior with expensive furnishings - monumental paintings, tapestries, sculptures and an amazing 11-meter-high stove is open to visitors, as a branch of the Gdańsk Museum also operates here. The Royal Route is closed by the Green Gate from the 16th century, which was once the seat of the Nature Society. Currently, it houses the Gdańsk Gallery of Photography and a branch of the National Museum in Gdańsk.
Right behind the Green Gate, it is worth entering the Green Bridge from which we can admire the Long Quay. There are numerous water gates, characteristic of Gdańsk, which provided direct access to the arriving ships. One of such gates is the St. Mary's Gate, through which you can get to St. Mary's Street, which leads directly to St. Mary's Church. It is one of the largest brick churches in the world, known as the crown of Gdańsk. You can admire the panorama of the city from the 77.6-meter-high tower with nearly 400 steps. At the Long Quay, there is also another famous water gate - the Crane, which also functions as a port crane. It is the oldest and largest facility of this type in Europe (first half of the 15th century). Inside there is a branch of the National Maritime Museum, and right next to it, the Maritime Culture Center - a modern interactive science center loved by children.
In the Old Town of Gdańsk, it is also worth seeing the Old Town Hall (from 1589, built in the Dutch mannerism style), the Great Mill (a medieval water mill from 1350), the Little Mill, the House of the Pelplin Abbots and the building of the Polish Post Office - the place of fought On September 1, 1939, between postal workers and German units of the Order Police and SS subunits.
Gdańsk is one of the favorite tourist destinations not only among Poles, but also among all Europe. The inhabitants of Germany and Scandinavian countries are especially eager to visit it. There is nothing strange in this, since the history of Gdańsk is, first of all, a story that began in the Middle Ages about a city lying on the trade routes, which welcomed its neighbors and visitors from far away. To this day, you can see the splendor of those times in its monuments. Despite the wars, Gdańsk has retained its specific charm and wonderful, historic architecture and an atmosphere that is worth feeling, even during a short, one-day trip.The city is extremely hospitable both during the day when cafes and restaurants are open, as well as in the evenings, when we can take advantage of the offer of restaurants, clubs or beer gardens, and the rich, especially in summer, entertainment offer offered by the city authorities. Virtually everyone will find something for themselves here - from the cultural offer including cafes and music clubs, theaters, opera and philharmonic hall, and ending with tourist attractions, both related to the sea and the land.