A wooden pier in the Orlowo – a southern district of Gdynia (Polish: Molo Gdynia Orłowo). The pier’s length differed significantly throughout history. By 1920’s the construction reached 115 metres and allowed docking of small passenger boats. With city’s expansion and to compete with Sopot the pier was significantly extended to reach 430 metres into the sea, however, soon after a large part was destroyed in a violent storm of 1949. With recent renovation works the entire structure was replaced and reinforced with steel beams. Today the pier is roughly 180 metres long.
Photo credit: All files, if not stated otherwise, are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 Poland license.